Tuesday, May 26, 2009

A New Rat in My Life



I posted my tribute to my rat Jack, who I lost earlier this year. It's taken awhile and I still miss him a lot. Even after he was gone, I kept hearing ratty noises from the corner of the room where his cage was. It was very sad suddenly not having a rat. Those who've had them understand the love and companionship these rodents will bring to a home!

I have been wanting more rats for some time, but since I don't have my own place to live and don't know where I'll be living in the next few months, I put it off. My sister has been raising baby rats for her snake. (This is another topic completely--I like snakes, but I like rats more, and for this reason will never have an animal that I have to feed rats to.) She had been telling me about a sweet little female that was too friendly to feed, so she had been putting her aside for me. I finally was able to bring her home this weekend! She is a beautiful little black rat with some white on her underside. I was very sure that I couldn't have another black hooded rat like Jack. That seems to be the most common rat color and pattern but it would be too hard seeing someone who looked so similar to Jack.

I have dubbed the new rat Bella. I decided that she was Italian, like me, after she munched down some whole-wheat penne pasta right after I brought her home! She still has some scabs on her ears and nose from a ringworm infection that went around the rat cages. She has been medicated and is doing better.

And since you should never, ever keep such social creatures alone, I will be adding her brother to the cage soon. I don't condone the breeding of animals, including rats, when there are so many out there waiting to be adopted. Her brother, a brown hooded, will be neutered soon and then I'll bring him home. I plan to adopt at least one or two more at the SPCA or a rescue group. Or maybe I'll save a few more from becoming snake food at the pet store.

Here is my little photo album of Bella so far. She's still very shy, so I'm doing some trust training with her to get her used to handling. The unfortunate problem of rats raised as feeders is that they are very deprived of the human interaction that is necessary for them to build trust around humans.

Since there are few good rat cages available in pet stores, and the ones that they do have are ridiculously overpriced, JD and I are setting out to make our own custom rat cage!

1 comment:

  1. Awww she's SO cute! I think she'll grow into a right good friend:)

    ReplyDelete