Monday, June 8, 2009

Calico Goldfish and New Art!

I've been fascinated by fancy goldfish since about 1989. I remember the day I first saw egg-shaped, multicolored fish with big, flowing tails. My best friend Melanie had them in a little aquarium in her room, and I decided then and there that I must have them, too!

Over the years, my goldfish obsession has progressed to the point where I've had as many as five or six aquariums of them at once. I've kept just about every kind, and currently have nine in a 100 gallon aquarium.

A few quick goldfish facts: despite what culture would have us believe, these little critters CANNOT survive in bowls. They do not grow to the size of their tank, and they do not die at the drop of a hat. Healthy goldfish require a very large tank, heavy filteration, light feeding, and regular water changes. Goldfish can and should live ten years or more. My oldest fish died at about nine years old, and she was considered young.

Goldfish have inspired my artwork throughout the years, and I even designed my own tattoo which features two goldfish.

Goldfish have been specially bred throughout thousands of years, with their roots beginning in China. These beautiful animals have inspired my artwork, and enjoy capturing them in watercolor and polymer clay.

Here is a cute little guy that I just listed on Etsy:

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Here's what one of my goldfish looked like before I oven cured him. He was made with multicolored polymer clay. Calico goldfish often have blue/violet undertones, and I achieved this with blue polymer clay under a thin layer of translucent clay. In the before picture, you can see how bright and opaque the clay is. After, you can see that it is translucent. I often use a blend of the translucent and black clay on goldfish fins.

Photobucket

Here you can see the same little fish next to another one of my recent pieces, a calico ranchu. (A ranchu goldfish is an egg-shaped fish with no dorsal fin).

Photobucket

Side view of my ranchu. I haven't put him up for sale yet because I've gotten ridiculously attached!

Photobucket

A big-eyed telescope goldfish sculpture from a few months ago:

Photobucket

Watercolor of two goldfish in a pond. I've always thought fancy goldfish were more attractive in ponds than koi, since they have big round bodies and multiple fins!

Photobucket

A few of my real babies!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

As always, thanks for reading! Signing off for now.

~Jenny Swartzbaugh

1 comment:

  1. how funny i've just been blogging about fish! very cute designs

    ReplyDelete