Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Always Take the Scenic Route!

I learned this from my dad long ago. Freeways are boring and back roads are where you find cool stuff. And in the famous words of Clark Griswold in "National Lampoon's Vacation," "getting there is half the fun!"

We travel over to the Monterey Peninsula pretty often. I go as often as I can, since I don't have a 9 to 5 job holding me back. Oh, and I go on job interviews there once in awhile. I always bring my furry best buddy Rylee with me. Like me, she's always up for a good car trip.

Here are some fun things I've seen on my recent ventures. Enjoy!

JD and Rylee in the car.

Photobucket

I love seeing this because I know I'm getting close!

Photobucket

One of those really great off-the-beaten-path places, Frog Pond Nature Preserve in Del Rey Oaks, CA. You could drive right by and not know it's there.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Tiny blooming flower at Frog Pond.

Photobucket

We stopped at a little pet store in Marina, CA and they had some big empty 55 gallon tanks to give away. I may just have a little car but I made it fit!

Photobucket

Photobucket

I love the Laureles Grade. It takes you from Hwy 68 over to Carmel Valley. It's a steep, winding road and I think the summit is about 1200 feet or so. It permits an amazing 360-degree view of Carmel Valley and the Salinas Valley.

(I stood on my car to get some of the panoramic shots).

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

I call my cat Roxy "Foxy" and when we drove by this place (a well-known vegetable producer in Salinas), I had to take a picture.

Photobucket

This cracked me up. It's a man's store and it's called Dick's!

Photobucket

The remains of this farm equipment was lying off on the side of the road. Don't know what it was but we took a picture anyway!

Photobucket

We found this cool little natural foods pet store in Carmel Valley. They had a great selection of sea-creature pet toys!

Photobucket

This beautiful wool-felted stingray is meant as a dog toy, but I see it as art.

Photobucket

One of our favorite beaches, Carmel State Beach. Dog friendly!

Photobucket

Jellyfish.

Photobucket

JD playing with Rylee.

Photobucket

Photobucket

She doesn't understand why you shouldn't drink saltwater.

Photobucket

Me!

Photobucket

This says it all!

Photobucket

We stopped at a gas station on the way home and saw this little guy eating out of a coffee cup on the ground.

Photobucket

That's all for now. As most of my friends know, I take pictures constantly. I have several other trips that I've photo-journaled that will be posted soon!

Bye for now.

~Jenny

3 comments:

  1. omg those pictures of the mountains your killing me i miss California its sooo beautiful i used to pick random exits to get off and find new places to explore

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such pretty pictures! Glad you guys had fun-- did you ever find the shell shop?

    Also, the picture of you in front of (what I assume is) the wine store-- I'm so making that the picture that comes up when you call me, I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fancy Lady, that's the only way to travel!

    K, I didn't find that shell shop but we plan to go back again at some point, and I'll Google it beforehand. I don't remember what store that was. I think it was a restaurant, actually, on the Wharf in Monterey. I love that pic, too!

    ReplyDelete